Thursday, November 29, 2007

I'm as merry as a school boy!

I had a fantastic evening yesterday. I went with six other people from the Honor's program to go see "A Christmas Carol" in Rochester.

We started out by going to a Thai restaurant in Rochester called "The King and I." I had never had Thai food before, so I just picked something that sounded good. I got a dish called Panang Beef. Panang, as described in the menu, is "red curry, creamy coconut, and basil." After several appetizers (including squid!) my meal arrived and it was very very tasty. I brought some home with me, maybe that will be my lunch. I also had kiwi juice, which is basically kiwi flesh put in a blender. It was really good.

The play itself was one of the best plays I think I have ever seen. The set was beyond description. At first, it looked so cluttered, but after a while, it was just incredibly...busy, I guess the word is. Whole offices and living rooms were brought out on raised platforms from underneath other scenary. I am doing a terrible job of explaining it, you had to be there. And the ghost of Christmas Yet To Come may have been the creepiest thing I've seen in a long time. He actually rose out of the floor through a trap door. But there was so much dry ice, you didn't even see the trap door. Just BOOM and there was this hooded figure growing larger and larger. And the gravestones in the cemetary did the same thing: rose from the stage floor.

There were some musical numbers, with a full chorus singing. They stood at various levels, creating that business I mentioned earlier. Scrooge was so perfect, growling and sneering through it (well, until the end of course). And of course, Tiny Tim was the cutest little boy in the world.

This sounds like a review put in a newspaper. But I am so glad I went, not only did I get out of Alfred for a night, I am now full of good Thai food and of course, full of Christmas spirit.

Oh, and after I got back to Alfred, I went to the Miller Center and played Christmas Carols in one of the practice rooms until 11.30!

Happy Holidays.

1 comment:

Anna Wager said...

Eeeee I'm so jealous!! That sounds awesome. O Liz, you are one cool kid.