Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Man or Mouse?

I haven't written in almost a week. I really have had nothing exciting to say. Ok, this post is not especially exciting, but I thought it was rather funny.

In Opera tonight, we watched Lucia di Lammermoor, a strange opera about a woman who marries against her will and ends up killing her husband and dying herself. Lots of high notes, not a lot of stage action. Anyway, the first time my class saw her husband, we started laughing. He was...robust. Large, with very dapper clothes and a sweet puffy hair-do. Not your Brad Pitt. After his first scene ended, someone in my class voiced in nicely: "He looks like a gerbil." We all laughed, knowing he was right. Another student said, "Or the Lion from The Wizard of Oz." We all laughed again, noting this was true. As the opera went on, I thought (very cleverly too) "Hmm. Here is a man who is both a lion and mouse." I know, very clever.

And then we watched the scene where Lucia goes insane. And sings for about 30 minutes. All in all, I think it was a very good way to spend an evening.

No comments: